Your travel career will take off with a Diploma of Travel and Tourism (SIT50112), a comprehensive diploma program that will give you industry ready skills to work in the travel sector as a consultant.
Travel and tourism consists of many different industries, all combining to create vibrant and exciting careers. Hotels, transportation, recreational parks and restaurants are just a few of the different areas that use the services of travel and tourism specialists.
Work in a stimulating industry while helping travellers plan their journeys. Learn the technical side and combine it with stellar customer service for a career that could take you around the world: literally and metaphorically.
The Diploma of Travel and Tourism is designed to teach students the inner workings of Galileo and Amadeus, the travel industry's two most prominent reservation systems, and provide the skills for top customer service. By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Create international fares and tickets, including e-tickets
- Develop professional itineraries
- Work on Galileo and Amadeus
- Deliver excellent customer service and dispense expert advice
- Manage a budget
- Work under travel and tourism law
Additionally, Martin College has tutors who are accredited to teach three additional qualifications—Galileo Desktop Certificate (Fares and Ticketing), Galileo Cross-Check Travel (Client Database and
Accounting) and Amadeus (Reservations and Ticketing)—which are industry recognised certificates
important for employment in this field.
Upon successful completion of the Diploma of Travel and Tourism, graduates can apply for roles such as:
- Travel assistant/consultant
- Tourist information officer
- Retail travel agency supervisor/manager
- Reservations manager
Martin College provides a Career Starter Program for students looking for career advice and guidance. The program includes guest seminars presented by industry experts and employment opportunities through the college's e2e.net.au portal.
For entry into the Diploma of Travel and Tourism, you need to:
- Meet any specified course entry requirements; AND
- Provide a copy of your Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (i.e. Year 12 certificate qualification); OR
- Achieve an Exit level 3 score with the Australian Core Skills Frame work assessments in reading and maths, which will show that you have the capability to be successful in the course. This is done through two short tests as part of your enrolment process
With some Providers, please note that students will need to complete the Travel and Tourism Fundamentals Program before they can gain entry into the Diploma course. The Fundamentals program can be bypassed, if a student can demonstrate that they have met course prerequisites through:
- successful completion of a Certificate III in Toursim, Certificate III in Travel or a Certificate III in Events; OR
- demonstrated skills aquired through work experience
Recognition of prior learning may be available for this course. For more information please see the Recognition of prior learning policy and procedure document or contact us to discuss options.
Course duration is dependent on study mode.
Online students will have the benefit of part-time study with students to complete the course within 60 weeks under a structured program. An optional 10-week fundamentals course is available if required.
Students wishing to study via classroom delivery must study full-time and will complete this qualification in 30 weeks. An optional 5-week fundamentals course is available if required.
Click here to download the Fee Schedule PDF for the Diploma of Travel and Tourism.
Click here to download Martin College's fees and start dates PDF.