Creative with your clothes? Considering a career in fashion design? Enter this exciting world of textiles, labels and catwalks with your own creations.
The International Career Institute's Professional Fashion design course has been developed with input from industry names so you can acquire the necessary skills to develop your own line and gain a deep understanding of the industry.
This is the perfect course for students looking for a practical introduction to design and make their own clothing, or for those with existing design skills to move into the business side of the fashion industry.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to design and make clothing and have the business skills to create their own label. Graduates can step into roles at a designer label, apparel manufacturers or their own business.
Students will cover the following:
- Introduction to Fashion
- Fashion and Design Process
- Fashion Design Skills
- Fashion Design Careers
- Starting Your Own Business
- Marketing Your Designs
There are no previous work or education requirements for entry into this course.
Students may enrol directly into the diploma or advanced diploma levels without completing lower ranked qualifications. Graduating from a higher course level is expected to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
Students can learn at their own pace and are given up to three years to complete the course. Below are the average times students take to complete the different course levels:
- Certificate of Completion (14 weeks): represents a basic level of operational knowledge with general knowledge. Suitable for basic entry level positions.
- Diploma (24 weeks): recognises the graduate's capacity for initiative and judgement across a broad range of functions. Diploma holders typically have personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing operations or organising others in the workplace.
- Advanced Diploma (31 weeks): The graduate is able to apply a significant range of principles and techniques across various contexts and functions. Graduates can expect to be involved in significant judgements, planning, and leadership/guidance functions related to workplace products, services, operations or procedures.
Already in the profession? This course and qualification is a great way of consolidating existing knowledge via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), updating your industry skills and contributing towards your professional development. It is also one of the most practical steps you can take towards working towards gaining a promotion or better paid position.
Course fees can be claimed as a tax deduction as long as the course is sufficiently connected to your work activities.